1 PhD position on offer - FI-1:
Complement evasion by viruses and opportunistic bacteria
Your main university will be University of Helsinki (Finland). You will have a 6-months research secondment at Humanitas University Milano (Italy), where you continue to scientifically work on your thesis project. You will have a further 6-months research secondment at MSD Finland (Helsinki) where you will learn industrial approaches to vaccine research. You will have a 1-month clinical training at Tirol Kliniken Innsbruck (Austria) and you will have a 1-month entrepreneur training at MSD Finland. Finally, you will receive a PhD issued by University of Helsinki and Humanitas University Milano if you fulfil the respective requirements.
Please read the full project description in this PDF.
The Marie Sklodowska-Curie project CORVOS is funded as an Innovative Training Network (ITN) – European Joint Doctorate (EJD). To keep it simple, one can say that CORVOS is an European-wide doctoral programme. Its focus lies on education of early stage researchers (ESRs) in the field of complement in opportunistic infections. This interdisciplinary doctoral programme is supported by 10 European universities, 2 research institutes, 3 biomedical companies and 3 hospitals, as explained here. The ESRs will have enhanced career perspectives in the academic and non-academic sectors through international, interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral mobility combined with an innovation-oriented mind-set.
- Individual supervision & monitoring (individual thesis steering committee)
- A highly structured, international CORVOS-specific educational programme
- A one-month industrial training in one of our biomedical partner companies
- A one-month clinical training in one of our partner hospitals
- Funded 6-12-months research exchange to a European partner university of CORVOS
- A "double" PhD degree issued by your main university and the partner university you will visit for 6 months
- Annual meetings with other Marie Curie fellows of CORVOS
- Interaction with other European doctoral programmes, such as HOROS or IRTG1911
- You will build up a very attractive professional network for your future
- State of the art facilities and resources
- Competitive salary
Join CORVOS: Requirements
We are looking for highly qualified and motivated aspiring PhD students from any nationality with an open-minded and very enterprising personality, capable of working in collaborative and integrated research groups. Ideal candidates should possess a good scientific drive and a strong motivation to succeed.
- You have a full study completing degree (Master, Magister, Diploma, MD) in medicine, natural sciences or related disciplines until June 2021 - You can also apply if you havent finished your studies, yet!
- You are an Early Stage Researcher (ESR) – you either just finished your studies, or you have worked less than 4 years as an employee in the biomedical sector after obtaining your degree
- You have to show academic excellence, scientific potential, flexibility, motivation and suitability for the research project
- You have the willingness to stay abroad for 3 years from your current residence and willingness to travel through Europe
- You comply with the mobility rule for Marie Sklodowska Curie ITN fellows – Researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting university for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This will be thouroughly checked.
Please submit the following documents compiled to ONE pdf-document by email
(using "lastname_firstname.pdf") to firstname.lastname@example.org until 09th May 2021 (23.59h CET).
- Filled application form
- Scan of Master/MD/Diploma document
- Abstract of Master/MD/Diploma thesis
We can only accept complete applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered!
Please, submit just ONE pdf-document!
PhD students are selected on the basis of their application materials and the selected candidates will be invited to a personal interview. The interview will be very soon after the application deadline (potentially in the week of 17.-21.05.2021). Most likely it will be hold on webex (online interview).
- Verification that the application is complete and that the applicant fulfils all requirements
- Obtaining candidate evaluations from referees
- Evaluation by CORVOS faculty members and ranking of candidates based on their qualifications, research experience, and future plans
- Invitation of preselected candidates for a hearing and personal job interview to webex (online)
- Final selection of stipendiates
- Start of project as soon as possible, but not later than July/August 2021